9/27/08

Friday Night Lights

Well we had our first home game last night in High School football, and yes I was there as promised, having a lesson and trying to get into it.

I actually enjoyed the whole experience in the bleachers. Being the secretary at the Elementary means I now know even more people than I did before, so it was very sociable. I sat with the hubster, some of my sorority sisters and their husbands.

It was a beautiful evening and our 5 times State Champions team are on an undefeated run of 73 wins. The band was in great form, as usual I loved watching the cheerleaders and we scored with a 64 yard touchdown from the opening kick-off!

We ended up winning 46-0 in the first half, so it was a short game, which is often the case. And therein lies a problem. They often win in the first half, so it's going to take me awhile to learn the game when they're all so short! In fact nearly all those points were scored in the first quarter and the second string got to play the second quarter.

But there were definite similarities to rugby, it was faster moving than I expected and I actually really enjoyed the whole evening. The team even got a mention on the Oklahoma news channels tonight.

Our results to date: 50-0, 44-6, 44-6, 46-0 - Gooo Indians!

11 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

Good for you Sarah, I've never been able to work it out as far as football goes...now Baseball...that's another matter!
hugs
Sandi

Maddy said...

Yes it's funny how their football is really closer to rugby, apart from all the protective gear and the pauses and the extra big lines and numbers which is fine if you're short sighted like me.
Cheers

The Factory said...

73 straight wins ? Well flip me sideays ! I'm amazed the other teams even bother to turn up.

Pam said...

That is interesting about it being over at half-time and doesn't make sense to me. Is it because the score is so one-sided? Anyway, it is a fun experience - high school football on Friday nights under the lights. Nothing like it. Did that for many many years from the time my brother was in high school through the time I was, and then babygirl's years too.

Mmm said...

Congrats to your team. I like American football too, actually alot better than Rugby. I like al the pagentry. It's fun.

Anonymous said...

Wow - you're a good person. Football interests me NONE. Makes NO sense. Throw the ball, jump on it, pile up all the guys, line up. Throw the ball, jump on it, pile up all the guy, line up. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Thanks for stopping by my blog this weekend! See you around.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't understand stopping the game at half-time either. I guess it's so the winning team wouldn't run up the score and deflate the other teams' self-confidence.

I love football, especially college football - especially Penn State.

Anonymous said...

There is a "Mercy" rule in high school football. If a team gets ahead by 45 points the game will be stopped. However they will always play the first half, unless both teams agree to stop before halftime.

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great team! That would be my perfect game--I usually can't go more than a half without being ready to leave!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Those are some serious blowouts by the team. Did you follow along? It is rather similar to rugby other than rugby being much more dangerous!

Andrew Kottenstette said...

I was just jokingly scolding a friend who's relocated to Belfast (whose husband is studying post-graduate there with their three kids living across from Windsor Park), that her middle son is not getting the indoctrination for "American football" he would get at home. The key element in the development of football in the USA was the use of the forward pass and the notion of stopping the time clock. Reading the Knute Rockne story will help. That's when it was found that a smaller, more fleet-footed, well-coordinated unit working to plans really showed how victories could be consistently produced on the collegiate level. It was all about adaptation and finding an opponent's inconsistencies or weaknesses and capitalising upon them.

I lived in central Texas when another high school did much the same as yours. If I remember well they were Thorndale. There run was very long. Perhaps they should have been classified further up for more competition. When I played football it was the harder played games I remember, and not how many we won. One remembers everything one earns with greater efforts.