4/27/09

I was a little freaked last night

When the power went off here for most of the evening after some wicked lightening, we stepped out onto the porch and it was just SO dark.

In the time I have lived here, I have always marveled at the stars being so visible, due to the lack of an 'orange city glow' in this area. But this was the first time we have lost power after dark and it was just pitch black, especially with the storm clouds blocking any moonlight.

It was hard to even see the homes across our street and the silence was eerie. I realised if we lose power in a tornadic storm after dark, which is likely at some point, I'm going to be pretty scared.

I have really come to rely on our wonderful local TV stations and their weather forecasters in these storms. Their accuracy is amazing and undoubtedly saves many lives, and being cut-off from their storm broadcasts would make me feel much more vulnerable. With all their information available to me, the days of panic at a tornado watch are long gone for me.

So we spent the evening with candles, oil-lamps and the weather radio! It's been a rocky 24 hours (roll down to read more about it) with two twisters in the southern part of our county (35 miles away) last night, which is thankfully sparsely populated. But we escaped unscathed and are prepared for another possible round of storms tonight. This is without doubt the worst it's been since I moved here and the closest to home.

One cool thing we did see though, a storm chasing vehicle came down the road that looked just like this one. Even for the Hubster this was a first, but we reckon they don't like to take any chances LOL!

28 comments:

CJ said...

Oh that sounds omnious!And scary!

I am curious to know how do you find out a storm approaching you if it happens in midnight?When you are asleep I mean.

Esther Garvi said...

That is the coolest vehicle! The sky looks really dark and angry. I hope you have a calm season!!

Kat said...

You just brought back memories of spending the evening down in the basement back. That is one thing I never got used to when we lived in the mid-west.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I'm not all that scared of storms which probably makes me a moron but I think storm chasers are not very bright.

Unknown said...

Recipes - a weather radio that wakes you with NWS warnings, it's essential for peace of mind here!

Strange Mamma said...

That is a freaking tank! How awesome and yet mildly disturbing to see that role down your street. I hope your clean linens and things are spared being blown about :P.

Sandy said...

Glad to hear you are all safe and sound.
I don't handle thunderstorms very well and freak when we get placed under Tornado Warnings. No basement here in SC. *shudder*
BTW- the car looks like the one from Storm Chasers on Discovery Channel.

Unknown said...

I dropped in to check so see if you'd been whisked away in a tornado. I knew that come what may, even if you was still spinning round in a tornado, all Wizard of Oz style, you'd let us know LOL

But how cool is that tank thing. I could do with that for the school run

xx

Jill of All Trades said...

Glad you're okay. That is scary and just eerie.

Iota said...

We had a power outage last night too, and I had exactly the same reaction. How on earth would we know what was going on without local weather on the tv? It is a really good service they provide. We have a weather radio, which has battery back-up, but it's not nearly so detailed and informative. And it wakes us up the whole time giving you re-runs of information you already know.

I wonder if you can get a battery pack of some kind for the tv?

Pam said...

Wow, I've never seen a storm chaser car like that one. What a nutjob! Who, and I mean WHO in their right mind would want to go do that??? I saw your county was in the thick of things last night. Glad all is good! Sounds like you are well prepared.

The Real Mother Hen said...

The weather forecast in where I live isn't that accurate, so I get my real forecast by... ummm, sticking my index finger up in the air! :)

Good blog, glad to have visited by chance.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Glad to hear your safe !
What an intimidating sky that is ...
I have left you something over at my place, pop on over when you get the chance :)

Tess Kincaid said...

That is an amazing shot of the storm chasing vehicle. wow. Just like in Twister, only more high tech. Glad you're okay.

Tess Kincaid said...

That is an amazing shot of the storm chasing vehicle. wow. Just like in Twister, only more high tech. Glad you're okay.

Sherri said...

Sarah be safe! That must have been cool seeing that vehicle! Just like the ones in the movie Twister!

Peggy said...

I live in the midwest and have spent many a time wrapped around the toilet with my dog during a storm. Then the airens would go off and we would wait.
But I'm sure that what you go through every storm season is so much more intense.
Hope this season is a mild one for us all!

Expat mum said...

We're just having torrential rain, coupled with lots of hanging around to see if son's baseball games will happen. 3 for 3 cancelled so far, with one scheduled this afternoon and looking less and less likely each minute.

Jill of All Trades said...

A little something for you on my blog.

Nancy said...

I remember being worried at night when we went to bed. I kept telling my husband we needed a weather radio that would give a warning. But we moved after only 1.5 years and just never got around to it.

Stay safe. I hope this isn't going to be a bad year for tornados.

david mcmahon said...

More than anything else, stay safe.

Having faced a grizzly, I have to say a tornado would be a great photo opportunity. (I think!)

TexasRed said...

Scary time of year! Glad you came through this one ok.

LadyFi said...

Storm chasing vehicle? Amazing - must have been one heck of a storm! That thing is like a tank!

Merisi said...

I want one just like that! :-)

Congratulations on being on David's Post of the Day Award list today!

lime said...

here via david.

wow, i never would have imagined that sort of vehicle and i can't imagine wanting to be a storm chaser either!

Susan English Mason said...

Congrats on POTD nomination.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

That vehicle is amazing!!!! Glad you're safe! Keep us posted! Congrats on POTD! Well-deserved!

Cheffie-Mom said...

That's a tough vehicle! Congrats on the Post of the Day Award from authorblog!