1/29/09

Guest Blogger - Life at Willow Manor

Today we have a treat in store. My great bloggy friend and wonderful writer Willow has agreed to be my first ever 'Guest Blogger'!

Her blog Life at Willow Manor, was recently featured as one of Bloggers prestigious 'Blogs of Note' and so please take the time to pay her a visit, I can guarantee great writing and usually some learning too. So without anymore ado, I hand you over to Willow...

"An-glo-phile, n. a person who is friendy to, or admires England or English customs, institutions, etc.

I guess you could say I officially became an angophile at the tender age of six when I fell deeply in love with Paul McCartney. Then there was Mary Poppins. I wanted to be Jane Banks, live in London, sleep under a down comforter and run around with chimney sweeps.

In 1969, when I was 13, I was totally besotted with Prince Charles after watching his investiture on TV. My favorite cut out magazine photo of him was still the center attraction of my dorm room bulletin board. Yes, I was one of the millions who was up at four a.m. glued to the TV watching with adoring interest his marriage to Diana and promptly subscribed to the British magazine, Royalty.

My dreams came true in 1989 when I spent three days in London visiting all the spots of my dreams. Sadly, I didn't happen to bump into Paul, Mary, Charles, Diana or even Laura Ashley, for that matter. But I did have a glorious time.

Now, since joining the blog world last year, I am amazed at the number of Brits living in the UK and in the US who are now my bloggy friends. One of the first was indeed, Brit' Gal Sarah, who has ended up smack dab in the middle of Tornado Alley, USA.

One of the very first posts I read of Sarah's was a "purse post" in which she featured one of her many handbags of the day, complete with historical background, fashion ensemble and name. If my memory serves me right, the purse of the day was her "Pocahontas" bag. Yep. It actually did look like Pocahontas, in a similar way that a dog looks like his owner! It had me in stitches and I've been a regular reader ever since. I love her fun sense of humor and her amusing, and sometimes earthy accounts of adjusting to her new life in Oklahoma with her beloved Hubster."

Willow

21 comments:

Kay said...

I enjoyed this post very much, Willow and Sarah. I can identify with the English crushes you had. I had them too when I was growing up in Hawaii. Must have been a worldwide thing.

Sassy Britches said...

The British are just too crushable! Welcome Willow!

Anonymous said...

I'm a Brit and yet, sad but true, have never had a crush on Laura Ashley or Prince Charles. I DID have crush on T Rex, David Bowie and, of course, Paul McC! (Also still crushing on muffins and marshmallows!)

karen said...

wow, a guest blogger! great fun... I'm off to Willow's blog again!

* please go over to my blog, and pick up your award! :-)

A Cuban In London said...

Lovely post. Thanks Sarah and Willow.

Greetings from London.

French Fancy... said...

Hello willow, I've followed you over here and love that you love the English. The thing is with being an expat - and I'm sure Sarah will agree - is that when one lives in a foreign country one becomes nostalgic for an England of one's youth. Going back to see one's motherland is usually a bit of a shock - a real change from what one has remembered.

Coffee Messiah said...

Congrats on BON ; )

It certainly spreads the word in a larger area quickly around the World, doesn't it? !

Cheers and Welcome to the usa!

Unknown said...

Hello Brit Gal!

Just visiting from Willow's place to see what a guest blogger spot is like. Great! If I could find enough contributors I wouldn't need to post anything myself - now where's that list??!!

Tess Kincaid said...

This was a lot of fun, Sarah! Thanks for inviting me. It's funny to see "me" over here at your Okie place! ;^)

Jill of All Trades said...

Thanks Willow. Enjoyed the read.

Unknown said...

French Fancy - you are so right! This is definitely a fun idea I will do again, thanks Willow.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Neat Idea---a 'guest' blogger.. Willow is great!!! Thanks Sarah.
Hugs,
Betsy

Daryl said...

Neat Guest Blogger post ... funny, I too discovered Sarah's blog via her purses ...

Joanne said...

Hi Sarah, I'm visiting via Willow's blog. It's kind of nice travelling the world this cyber way. Greetings to you from New England!

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Willow, That was both a cosy and friendly post. I love reading about blogger friendships...it was fun to read about your infatuation with all things-people English!
Brit Gal, I hope you are happily adjusted to the USA. I´m out of the country and living in the tropical island of Puerto Rico. Your posts seem quite detailed and innovative. Congratulations on your guest...fun idea!

Silverback said...

Classic idea Sarah. Guest bloggers. If I'd 365 blogger friends I could put my feet up for a whole year !

Being the half a year Brit in Florida that I am, I can't pick a snazzy title like 'wot' you have !

Willow, lovely post. I had posters of NASA on my wall growing up. And guess what ? I'm STILL growing up.

Pappy said...

Oh I'm sorry. Your said pearls of wisdom. I'm more into Balderdash (which by the way comes to us from across the pond - the word that is not necessarily Balderdash). I, unlike Willow have not visited there yet, but would like to. Nice to have guests posting on your blog isn't it? Pappy

George said...

Sarah, what a great idea to have guest bloggers. Willow, what a great post. Thanks to both of you.

Peggy said...

Brit gal;

I'm still new to your blog... but i like it so much that I left you an award, on my blog!

Janet said...

Hi Willow, Nice to meet you. I grew up in England, and had all the same crushes you did. Even fell for Prince Charles at his investiture. It didn't last long though, I was always a fickle teen.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Can you be an Anglophile if you are English?

Great idea for your blog Sarah! And nicely done Willow.

x