7/6/09

Chicago Thursday

Thursday morning was one of the Hubsters highlights of our holiday, as he got to tour Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs baseball team. For those of you not in the know, the Cubbies are like a less successful version of Man Utd back home. They have a similar history to the club and a legion of lifelong fans, but they have not won their championship for 100 years.

I don't pretend to know the first thing about Baseball and to be perfectly honest, I find it pretty boring. But even I enjoyed this tour and found it interesting. The Hubster is one of their loyal fans and so he was enthralled. One of the things the Cubs are best known for, is the often celebrity led sing-a-long of 'take me out to the ballpark' during the 7th innings stretch.

When we first knew they were going to be out of town the week we were there, he was not sure about doing the tour. But I convinced him it would be very worthwhile, having done a similar tour of Old Trafford and been thrilled myself. It was however hotter than haides the morning we did it, with crazy humidity and the first part was almost like a torture as we sat in the bleachers for a talk!

The humidity under the stadium was unbearable, as they had spent the morning hosing the walkways down! So it was a major relief to get up into the Press Box (despite the climb!) and finally find some kind of breeze. The view from here was great and I advised the Hubster that if we ever come to a game, we need to be either in there or a cheap seat in the shade!

He got to visit the team locker room, where alot of their personal stuff is on display in their lockers. Even I was impressed by how much was shared on the tour and the personal aspects.

Here he is in the home team dugout, waiting to be called into bat!

The last remaining manually operated scoreboard in the league. Apparently on game day, they will have 16 staff inside it making sure everything runs smoothly. The only air-conditioning is the open vents on either end!!

Our tour ended with a few piccies outside, including this one next to the statue of the famous Cubs commentator Harry Carey, he of those glasses!

After the Hubster squeezed in a quick geocache find back at the Museum Campus, we headed to the Chicago Art Institute.

We had a quick look around the new 'Modern' wing, but to be honest we're neither of us big fans of modern art.

So we headed off into the more traditional galleries to see some of the wonders of the art world. Here is Van Gogh's self portrait, it seemed like his eyes followed you wherever you moved!

A fabulous piece of Sevres pottery, of which I have always been a big fan and this vase was huge and so vibrant.

And then we had a gallery of Monet paintings, I could have put in a dozen pictures here, but 'Water Lillies' is my personal favourite. But seeing them close-up we were enthralled by the tiny brushstrokes and luminosity of his colours - just stunning.

This magnificant Indian Chief headress was from the Cheyenne tribe and originated from our neck of the woods.

And finally a beautifully designed English silver art deco rose bowl caught my eye.

We only managed a short visit to the Art Institute after our very energy sapping visit to Wrigley Field. We headed back to our room to finish the pizza pie and have an early night in preparation for our final day.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicago is one of my favorite cities in the world. I'm loving returning in my memory through all of your photos.

Winifred said...

What a great tour. I'm not a footie fan but I tagged along at the Nou Camp in Barcelona hoever you didn't get to see any of the personal stuff. How on earth did you survive that heat.

What fabulous treasures you saw and your photos are great. I especially love that art nouveau rose bowl.

Hope your brother is doing OK Sarah.

Gaelyn said...

Never went to Wrigley Field, so thanks for the tour. Too bad there was no game. Love the Art Institute. It can take days to see all of that. I remember VanGohs eyes.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Looks like it was a fun day. Thanks for taking us along with you.

Expat mum said...

That reminds me. Every year I think it would be a great idea to give the middle guy an early birthday present in the shape of a tour - and then it's all booked up. I will pop over to the web site this instant, it looked great. We're off there tonight. Such a pity they weren't in town when you were here. Next time.

Anonymous said...

Love reading your blog about Chicago. I think I will have to persuade the hubby to take me there. Sure looks like you had amazing time. Been great looking at your pics xxx

Teresa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa said...

Though an Okie now, I do miss Chicago... quite a bit at time actually. Did you happen to eat at Elephant & Castle Pub and Restaurant? I worked in the financial district and so the one I frequented was down by the Art Museum on Adams Street. I would be curious to know how you liked it if you did.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Hey great pictures I really liked the art museum shots and the tour of the stadium.
We are trying to plan a trip there and the Cubs will be in town and the only seats available, a month in advance, are those that come with a warning "limited viewing possible." Apparently the stadium has I beams that can block the view from a bunc of seats.I might have to make do with a tour.

Pam said...

There's a man in seventh heaven ... shame the Cubbies weren't in town. I grew up with baseball and tried to explain it to my deaf British father-in-law once (and failed). ... Brits don't seem to understand that you are NOT supposed to be able to hit the ball. It is a game of pitching, not of batting, but that's neither here nor there, you just make me want to go to Chicago to see for myself!!!

Unknown said...

Teresa we actually passed it on the way to the Sears Tower and I knew of it from Expat Mum, but no we didn't eat there.

Alan - if the tickets aren't vrazy money I think I might be tempted anyway. The tour is $25 per person itself.

Daryl said...

How did I miss this post .. I am no baseball fan but those pix are so wonderful .. and clearly Hubster had a great time!

DeniseinVA said...

What a lovely tour, great photos. Loved this tour as I have never been to Chicago but have always been interested in going one day.

Kay said...

It has been such a long time since we've been to Wrigley Field. Last time I went, it was so cold I was freezing on the nosebleed section. You really got to see a whole lot! I am very impressed.

Girl Tornado said...

I'm not a huge fan of baseball either, but that tour of the Wrigley Stadium does seem pretty cool. The scoreboard is rather amazing, although I can't imagine how hot it must get in there for those 16 poor souls!

Seeing the Monet paintings in person must have been breathtaking. Thanks for sharing!! :)

scrappysue said...

way cool trip and pics. i wanna go back to chicago!

Tiffany said...

My mom, "Musings" told me to check out your Chicago trip. So glad you had a fun time in Chitown and met friendly people. You really did visit all tIt's too bad that you hit the city on the only hot spell we've had all season. We've been in the 60-70's before and since. :(