7/20/09

Summer Recess Addiction!

Well my long summer break is almost over and I have a new addiction to own up to. There really isn't much on TV in the day, but when it's over 100 outside, eventually you'll find something to watch. Well in my case I have now become a fan of HGTV, the Home & Garden channel, filled with everything you ever wanted to know about homes.

When I admitted my new fixation to friends, it soon became apparent I am far from alone! The Hubster has got used to coming home and finding me absorbed in refurbishment ideas, decorating tips and an HGTV fave, 'curb appeal' and how to get some. I used to be an Estate Agent/Realtor in a previous life and have never lost the fascination for home sales. So I especially enjoy the property searches and sales shows.

But my fave show by far is 'Color Splash' with the winner of the very first HGTV Design Star, David Bromstad. This is undoubtedly in part due to my own love of colour, we have just one neutral coloured room in our home, unless I haven't got around to decorating it yet. The only exception is the bathroom, which due to size needed neutral. But in other rooms I have lilac, mid-green, teal green, pinky terracotta & a vivid turquoise.

David is my new inspiration; his designs are brave in their use of colour and nearly always stunning. If we ever win the lottery, I'll be tracking him down to come and 'do' the whole house for me. He has already inspired me to go with a softer contrasting colour in our sitting room, where we already have a deep teal focal wall, rather than a neutral. I have always loved to be surrounded by colour, it affects my mood deeply and neutral just doesn't cut it for me, luckily the Hubster feels the same way!

So the vacuous hole left by re-runs on TV during summer, has been more than filled by HGTV for us. Anyone else out there have this addiction and if so, which is your fave show?

18 comments:

♥ Braja said...

Sarah, I don't have television here, and not much of a watcher of it anywhere, but I admit when I am somewhere that there's one available, I LOVE these kinds of shows.....they're my favorite....

Jill of All Trades said...

Oh gosh I love that channel too. We have been married for 33 years now and The Hubby made me live in Spanish White rooms for 30 of those years. He finally trusted me to use color and I am in love with it. I have red walls, pink walls, green walls, just love it. When I was a child my mother let my sister and I paint our bedroom. One wall was neon green, neon yellow, baby blue and neon orange. It was the 70's though. Quite an adjustment for me for 30 years.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

HGTV is a curse upon the land!!! ;()

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've been looking for a new show to watch. Thanks for the nod Sarah. I get hooked on reality TV during my summer break but "Flipping Out" and "Workout" have not returned yet, and "Housewives of New Jersey" is over, so I'm getting bored. I've actually resorted to watching "NYC Prep". How pathetic is that?

Sherri said...

Sarah, it has become a joke that I have an addition to HGTV. DH works a few nights a week and when he comes home I always have House Hunters or House Hunters International on. I also love to watch makeovers on the shows. I love when they take a run down, crummy house and turn it into something absolutely beautiful. I too love Color Splash! Good thing I work during the day or I would never get anything done!

Pam said...

Oh girl, me and HGTV go wayyyyy back. I loved David on Design Star. Did you watch Changing Rooms back in the UK? We were addicted to that show for a long time too. The world needs more Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen....

Nancy said...

Not so addicted, but do watch it on occasion. I like the "First House" one and the one where they spruce them up for sale.

Daryl said...

What fun post.. having been away at a blogfest which ironically had no wireless connectivity .. I have a lot to catch up on ..

Anonymous said...

Colorful walls? I don't dare because I am so afraid I'll feel claustrophobic -- the walls closing in on me. I prefer wallpaper and have it in the 2 bathrooms and the master bedroom and dining area.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I've watched it for years. Nowadays, I just catch the House Hunters or House hunters International, before watching Last of the Summer Wine, as my night time addiction on PBS.
I loved This Old House, and still watch that more than any other decorating show.

Lynn said...

Oh I LOVE HGTV! I only watch it on Saturday and Sunday. I don't watch TV during the day on weekdays even though I'm home all day most days. I like Color Splash even though David's designs are usually too modern for my tastes. Other shows I like: Curb Appeal, Design on a Dime, Hammer Heads, Over Your Head, Carter Can, Landscape Smart, Rip and Renew, Save My Bath (haven't seen that one in a while) Gardening By the Yard. I like that one because it's filmed in Oklahoma so I get gardening tips that work for my part of the country.

I'm sure I'm forgetting to list one of my favorite shows. There's just so much. I don't care much for the real estate shows. I like remodeling and landscaping.

Flea said...

I'm addicted to FaceCrack. :) Sorry - I don't watch TV.

Anonymous said...

I can see why you would want to watch *him*. I've never watched before - may have to start.

Unknown said...

Karen, neither you or I would be his type!

Gaelyn said...

I don't get TV. But if I did I think I'd watch this show for the Designer. He's a cutie. And if he gives good decorating advice, all the better. Have fun with the color. My small walls are covered with stuff.

Lynn said...

One of the good things about fantasizing about people on TV is that it doesn't matter if you're their type or not. Since you're just fantasizing anyway you can also fantasize that you are his type. ;-)

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Have you seen A Gardener's Diary? The host visits gardens all over the U.S. It comes on at weird times, so you'll probably want to record it. It is one of my favs. I do like Color Splash too.~~Dee

Unknown said...

I love HGTV. I used to tease my mother mercilessly for watching so much of it, but now I'm just as bad (if not worse). I'm especially fond of all the house buying and appraising shows, House Hunters, House Hunters International, My House is Worth What?, Property Virgins, Income Property, Hidden Potential. One learns such important things, for instance last week I learned that me and some Italian guy buying an apartment in Rome have all the same crappy Ikea furniture. I feel so connected to the style pulse of southern Europe ;p.

In encounters with Z list celebrity news, I once had Kendra Todd of My House is Worth What? as a customer. It was an enthusiasm overload. I don't think anyone has told me I was awesome more times in a 2 minute interaction in my life. Also the girl makes bank!