4/26/10

My World


On Saturday we headed south and spent a little time visiting Foss State Park, which sits on parts of the 60 miles of shoreline of western Oklahoma's largest lake, Lake Foss. It is reservoir with a huge dam, construction was finished in 1962 and the dam is 30 ft wide at the crest, 142 ft high and 18,130 ft long. You drive the along the top of the dam to get into the park and it makes for some awesome views.


It was CRAZY WINDY, 50-60mph straight line winds and the lake was more than a little rough, with a covering of white caps and a swell. Taking these photo's I got pretty well sprayed and had a job staying upright, it was so bad it took major effort to even get the car door open!


These two were braving the elements in a very sheltered inlet by the bank, they wouldn't have lasted long standing up out on the lake!


But it was still a fun visit. The Hubster ventured out of the car once to check on me getting severely blown around and wet above the swell. I was having a ball, and he rightly assessed that I was feeling like I was by the sea, hence all the joy and laughter I was emitting - it was very exhilarating!


We noticed that all the houseboats had docked safely in the marina, a wise decision as I'm sure they'd have been tossed around on the lake.


We plan to return on a calm summer day in June and enjoy the facilities more, we may even rent a boat. The lake is huge, approximately 10 miles long, so there's plenty to explore.

As you can see, it's situated in red dirt country, which looks wonderful in pictures. We live just outside the red dirt area, but the Hubster tells me I should be happy about this, as it's a mess to deal with around a home.

To see some great sights around the globe or join in the fun, go to My World Tuesday

23 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Looks like a super-duper place. Lovin' the water!

My name is Riet said...

What a great place to be. Love the pictures

Sylvia K said...

What a fun trip! The water does look wild! What beautiful blue skies, too, goes great with the red earth! Have a great week, Sarah!

Sylvia

Daryl said...

What a lovely place ...

Carver said...

Wow, that was windy. What a beautiful spot to go to. I love the shots with the red dirt and beautiful sky above. Blue skies with big clouds like that are so beautiful especially when they are shot so it looks like the sky is meeting that red ground.

Anonymous said...

looks like you had a nice time at the lake.

Gaelyn said...

Your images certainly relay how windy it was. But there's such great energy from moving water. Although I don't care for the wind much. Sounds like a great day and hope you make it back this summer.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful place. Lovred the cloud formations.

Carolyn Ford said...

Wild water and amazing skies! What could be better?!

Noel Morata said...

aloha,

i enjoyed your post today, its great to see beautiful scenery and your right, i live on a dirt road and its dusty everyhwere, the cars, the windows the sides of the house...yuck!

thanks for sharing your world today.

viva la france is going on in my sari blog today!

Expat mum said...

We have a great lake here as you know, but I really miss the smell of the sea. Just not the same.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Son and I went out there during a road trip last October. We found a few geocaches.

When I worked in western OK Foss Lake was where we would have our annual employee picnics.

LadyFi said...

Great cloud shots.. and my, that really as a lot of wind!

Sherri said...

Hi Sarah! If I were you I would go back there too-looks like a great place to explore and visit!

Kathie Brown said...

Love the wide open spaces and the big sky photos! Those winds turned into some deadly tornados though didn't they. One came within 10 miles of my son's house in KY. He and his family are safe but sadly others were not so fortunate. Lovely photos. I'm glad you had a fun day.

Jossie said...

Great pictures. Water and wind, love them together.
I also read your post about the snake. I am dead scared of those creatures. Can imagine how you must have felt. How awful.

Jenn said...

Amazing clouds!

carolina mountains said...

The wave shot was great - looked to be a wild day!

The Antiques Diva™ said...

Love seeing that red dirt!!!
Toma

Viv said...

What a fun time with Hubster!

Kay said...

Gosh! You've got red dirt, too? We sure do have it in Hawaii.

Anonymous said...

What skies! Nice pics - thanks for sharing them :o)

Pat said...

Wow! The wind you have in OK is incredible/ I see why that's in the Oklahoma song. The shot sof the read earth and blue and white skies are absolutely stunning!