9/6/10

My World - Roadtrippin'


We decided to take a road trip this long weekend.


So we took off across the "flat as a pancake" Oklahoma Panhandle and headed into New Mexico, a first for me. We left the Plains behind and sped into the foothills of The Rockies near Cimmarron.


It's been 5 long years since I saw anything resembling a mountain, so there were alot of "wows" to be heard as they came into sight. I guess I hadn't realised how much I missed this kind of scenery until now.


We stopped in the Cimmarron State Park at the Palisades Sill, the cliff views here are quite stunning, as is the peace and quiet. You drive about 20 miles through the mountains and it's breathtaking all the way.


It was also nice to see so much green coming from dry arid NW Okieland!


We found a beautiful creek to stretch our legs and take a break from the road, as our travel time was over 7 hours door to door.



As we drove out of the State Park, we were met by this gorgeous view looking down on Eagles Nest, a New Mexico mountain town that reminded me alot of Switzerland.


We sped on through the valley enjoying the vistas.



This whole area has many popular ski resorts and we stopped to enjoy the views of the Angel Fire resort, where you can clearly see the ski runs.


Then we headed into the Kit Carson State Park, which is more populated than the Cimmarron and has many eyecatching log cabin homes to admire. Maybe if we win the lottey someday, but as the Hubster pointed out "first we need to play it"!


And our final destination - Taos, New Mexico a picturesque and famous Pueblo town, which I'll post about next week.

Double click any pic to see more detail

To see some great sights around the globe or join in the fun, go to My World Tuesday

21 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What a fun trip! And that is such a beautiful area! I haven't been there in quite some time, but I do remember the beauty! Terrific photos as always! Looks like you had a great get away! Enjoy your week!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for a road trip and this looks like a good'un. Such wonderful scenery. Love all the pics and looking forward to seeing more of the Pueblo town.

Expat mum said...

Loved Taos when I went many moons ago. It always amazes me how flat the mid-west is. There is literally nothing between Chicago and the foothills of the Rockies. I also miss topography, especially when looking at your great photos.

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Foto fantastiche.
Mi piacciono molto.

Sherri said...

Taos is suppose to be wonderful! I hope you had a great time there. The pics you took were great and thanks for sharing!!

Almost American said...

Beautiful! Great photos!

DeniseinVA said...

You had a great weekend, magnificent scenery out there. Those skies go on forever.
An English Girl Rambles

Penelope Notes said...

Oh ... Eagle's Nest looks like a little slice of heaven on the horizon! Thanks for sharing your interesting journey. :))

Anonymous said...

I have never been to OK or to NM, so I enjoyed your pics.

Lots of mountains on Oahu, where I live. What a contrast: going from the mountains down to the ocean!

SandyCarlson said...

An incredible change in landscape. Gorgeous shots.

Jossie said...

Looks like a wonderful trip. Beautiful scenery.

Gaelyn said...

What a great roadtrip, into the lush green of mountains. Look forward to seeing Taos as it's been a very long time.

George said...

Thanks for taking us along on your road trip. The scenery is magnificent. We really need to get out that way one of these days.

Kay said...

My son lives in New Mexico so this was a whole lot of fun to see. Taos is a very interesting, artsy place. I haven't seen all those other gorgeous places that you took photos of though. Hmmm... we'll have to go back for another visit.

Unknown said...

you got some terrific photos along the way! marvelous sights! looking forward to your photos next week.

Daryl said...

Lots of great shopping there .. fabulous scenery ...

pam said...

Ooooh, I love it out that way but haven't been since my pre-John days! This isn't very far for you guys, either! You should go more often! Glad you had fun and what a way to celebrate!

Self Sagacity said...

I need this too! This weekend we cleaned house, no fun, but it feels great.

Snippety Gibbet said...

Lovely shots of your trip. I hope that one day I can be at your skill level with the camera. jan

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Sarah, Glad you got to see some mountains again. I grew up in the mountains of Virginia and Tennessee... Then we moved to Florida, then Louisiana and finally to Texas.... I was horribly homesick for my mountains ---so finally, I moved back to TN. This is where I met George... SO--I doubled my pleasure...

What a gorgeous trip... Can't wait to see more!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

真愛旅舍直播間 , 真愛旅舍直播間 , 真愛旅舍直播間 , 真愛旅舍直播間 , 真愛旅舍直播間 , 真愛旅舍直播間 , 真愛旅舍直播間 , 真愛旅舍直播間 , 真愛旅舍直播間 , 真愛旅舍直播間