2/11/08

Brit' Word of the Day....

I know my American friends here love to learn new words they can then use on unsuspecting friends & family.....or a new meaning for a word they know, so I thought I'd start a little feature just for them!

Todays' word is:

'CHUFFED' : means to be very pleased or happy about something.

An appropriate use would be: "I am so chuffed with my new shoes" or "I am very chuffed thank you"

This is not the same usage of the word as used in the Thomas the Tank Engine cartoons or books, where "Thomas chuffed angrily up the hill" This would mean he was chuffing the steam out of his little chimney with force! This caused one of my friends much consternation when she thought I was angry about something and didn't dare ask me for a few weeks...lol!

I know from friends here who have had to double check the meaning with me, this is a word they seem to love, but sometimes get confused about. So if you're very happy or pleased about something, tell them you are chuffed and then enjoy the expression on their face!

1 comment:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Ooh, great word! I'll have to remember that one :)