7/6/08

Brit' Word of the Day....

Today's BWOTD is a common phrase in the UK and bemuses Americans!

"I am just going to spend a penny"

'Spend a penny' = have a pee!

We found out today that despite being married to a Brit' for many years pamokc did not know this one!

My mum once caused much confusion with some very good friends of ours here, when she told them she got up around 2am to spend a penny. They told us they had a whole conversation afterwards about what she could possibly 'spend a penny' on at 2am in the morning where we live! :-) They finally had to ask me as it was intriguing them so much.

This originates from when you had to pay a penny to use a public toilet in the UK, which I remember, so it must have gone on well into the 1970's.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Now you've kindled another memory. Those big brass shiny locks on the toilet doors that you had to put the penny in - and my mother carefully covering the toilet seat in loo paper before I sat down so that I wouldn't catch any germs!!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Sazza - Consider yourself memed, my beauty.

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your Summer. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to.

I had to do it, so now you have to. It's the law.

Anonymous said...

i love that phrase but never knew the origin. thank you!

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

That's a great one, Sarah. I'm glad your mum enjoyed her 4th of July here.

Vickie said...

Very cool BWOTD!! Have to remember that one to tell my mom. See if she uses it incorrectly like the other BWOTD she likes to throw out. She hears me use a term or phrase and just has to adopt it too. Invariably in the wrong context. This will be fun!

Rhea said...

Oh my goodness. I've never heard that one! I'm so glad you explained where it originated from because I was very, very curious the minute you explained it!! Neat expression.

Veronica said...

Oh that's hillarious! I would have never known what she was talking about either! lol

Mmm said...

"They told us they had a whole conversation afterwards about what she could possibly 'spend a penny' on at 2am in the morning where we live! :-) "

--that is SO funny.