2/13/10

A gift from the heart


The Hubster surprised me with a gift on Sunday, it was to celebrate the anniversary of the fateful date we met, which was Feb 10th. I am a life long admirer of Jane Austen and all her works and so he thoughtfully got me this beautiful paperweight from the BBC America shop.

It is a french glass paperweight, with a faux brass finished frame and inset is a portrait of Jane and one of her famous sayings:

"Wisdom is better than wit, and in the long run will certainly have the laugh on her side".

Jane herself was very much a lady who lived up to this belief and had wisdom way beyond both her years and experiences. I always think it's so sad she died young, as the world may well have been blessed with further wonderful works as she grew older and wiser.


So this is a perfect gift for me and the Hubster knows how much I will treasure it and garner pleasure from it.
Whilst on the subject of all matters 'Austen', I must unashamedly plug the current Masterpiece Theatre series on PBS. The last three weeks they have been showing a new adaptation of 'Emma', which I loved as much as  the movie 'Pride and Prejudice'. Johnny Lee Miller (aka Angelina's ex and Eli Stone) was brilliantly cast as Mr. Knightley, I swear I fell for him a little myself.

This week they are starting 'Northanger Abbey' on Sunday night and it also looks very promising. This will then be followed by Persuasion. If they're anything like 'Emma' - beautifully cast, located and clothed, they will be well worth catching.

11 comments:

Sherri said...

Sarah, what a lovely and very thoughtful gift you hubby gave you! I love Jane Austen too! Enjoy!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

ealThat Hubster, he is a very nice guy. What a great gift.

imac said...

We DH's are like that Girls.lol.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a fablulous gift, Sarah.. Your hubby is a "keeper"---just like mine...

Happy Valentine's Day..
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Perfect!

Vickie said...

What a sweeeeet patootie he is!!!!

Oman said...

that was sweet. happy heart's day.

Gaelyn said...

How very thoughtful, he knows you so well.

Happy Valentine's Day to both of you.

The Factory said...

Check out Cranford too if you can, it's good stuff.

Melessa Gregg said...

I really enjoyed Northanger Abbey tonight! That is a very thoughtful gift. DH didn't change the channel while we were watching this evening.I think that was my gift. ;)

Unknown said...

Nice gift.