- Just about everyone I know goes to church regularly and believes in God
- Almost everyday I see the sun, which is wonderful
- I very rarely hear or use sarcasm (irony)
- 95% of people, even strangers are friendly, polite and will help
- I could count on one hand how often I have sat in any traffic!
- I hardly ever here anyone swear (cuss)
- They advertise prescription drugs widely on TV & in the press!
- Road rage does not exist here
- People are endlessly patient (which sometimes drives me nuts!)
- The local paper lists the Public Records weekly, naming names of who got a driving ticket or is getting divorced, prosecuted, has bad debts etc!
- At some point in many conversations who someone is related to by marriage, siblings, cousins etc...will come up to establish how everyone talking knows them - I find this bizarre!
- You can safely go away and leave your house unlocked, or your car unlocked pretty much wherever you park it - although I can't bring myself to do either!
- There are people employed just as customer greeters at the entrance of Walmarts' to tell you 'Hi' or 'Have a good day' and hand you a shopping cart!
- You can 'drive through' at just about all banks
- It can take up to 5 days to send a letter or package to somewhere else in the USA, it's that big!
- The national news is so censored I was shocked for weeks, especially about the war & international news
- If you want to vote in the elections you HAVE to be registered with one of the main parties first (Republican, Democrat, Independant) and can only vote for them in the Primary's. But at the General election (for the President) you can vote for whoever you want...the non-negotiable registering with a party shocked me, this being a democratic country!
- People eat out really early here and alot of restaurants stop serving by 9pm latest!
- School sports are huge here and the whole town will turn out to support a school team in a tournament, kids playing or not
- Wines & Spirits are not sold in supermarkets, only Beer & what Brit's call Alco-pops!
- They charge 'you' for any calls received on your mobile (cell)!
- Everyone knows their neighbours or at least their name
- People just seem alot happier generally!
Here are just a few of the differences I have noticed in the past 2+ years since I moved here and I appreciate these are also influenced by where I am in the USA: